Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Revamp

This week's project to "change the vocabulary of my room" has become a very refreshing experience for me. After reading about French writer and Situationist Guy Debord on wikipedia, I was intrigued by Debord's ideas about breaking out of routine patterns of movement and how rearranging my room completely changed the way I moved around it.

Yesterday I moved around my furniture and some decorations and generally straightened things up and organizing some things that I realized were living in very unpractical places (such as my blank cd spindle). I finally hung my paper lantern over our previously bare bulbs and put up a small star hanging in the doorway. I relegated some of my sweaters, jackets, and some books that I have been trying to get rid of into the closet across the hall from my bedroom door. The move also entailed reworking almost all ofthe electrical components in my room. To my surprise, I have found that the room seems to work better this way and is spacially and aesthetically more appealing and friendly. Having my bed in the middle of the room, for example, is more condusive (especially if I make it) to people sitting on it to socialize. In addition, my desk now hides the unused door at the far side of the room, which I found to be a bit of an eyesore before.

I did not impose my rearranging on my roommate, and so her side of the room remained the same.

As an experiment, I also rearranged my drawers, pulling them all out and putting them back in random order. I only have four drawers in my little dresser, but I had an interesting time with it this morning as I tried to get dressed. My morning overall was altered by the design of my room. I had to walk around the space differently. Even sleeping in the middle of the room instead of in the corner felt different and more exposed. Significantly, I could not as easily see my clock from where I lay in bed unless I picked my head up to look up and back to my nightstand. And so I just didn't look at my clock as much throughout the night and morning, which I enjoyed.

So here are some before and after pictures...





and begin the new arrangement...




view through stars

No comments: