Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Separate UniverseCity


Who goes (t)here?


There is a fence

high as a prison wall

though sans barbed wire,

not sans spikes.

Through it,

I see paths,

sidewalks and park spaces,

orange trees and evergreens

with pine cones.

I see the backs of buildings,

air conditioning units

and electrical boxes,

paint-chipped pipes and ducts.


On the city sidewalk

I stand.

Across the street are houses:

some with students,

some with families.

I see empty chairs on porches,

cars and newspapers,

garbage.


You must walk all the way down

to George, and face the traffic's eyes

in order to enter the other

universe-city on the other side

of the fence.


I see gates with enormous

padlocks.

I have never seen them opened...

do they?

Who has the key?

And who goes through them?

Who will never?

And who will never

look through from that other side –

and why?

No comments: